Friday, February 01, 2013

Whadyawannado This Year?


I know this post is a bit late, but ...

Each year early in December, I begin thinking about what goals I'd like to set for myself for the upcoming year.

Some people call them 'resolutions' but I tend to shy away from that term.  Why?  I'm not exactly sure, really, but I think it has something to do with the fact that it sounds so final.  When you say "I resolve to...", it makes it sound as though if you don't stick to the resolution, you've failed.

Conversely, when you say "My goal is..." it sounds more like something I can actually accomplish because goals have stages.  For instance, if your goal is to play the piano, you would start with baby steps.  You learn what sounds the different keys make.  When you've got that down, you begin to learn how to read music (Every Good Boy Does Fine).  Next, you begin working on playing an easy piece.  Then you practice, practice, practice.  Each step of the way, you accomplish part of the goal, but not the actual goal itself.

Make sense?

Anyway ... on to the list of goals I'd like to accomplish this year:

~  Read at least 2 books per month.
~  Learn how to make orange marmalade.
~  Plant a cottage garden.
~  Learn how to make Greek yogurt.
~  Learn how to make ricotta and mozzarella cheeses at home.
~  Participate in our city's 'One City, One Story' book event.
~  Drink more water.
~  Get more fiber in my diet by eating more fruits, veggies and beans.
~  Try more new recipes.
~  Be better about filing papers in a timely manner instead of having them stack up.
~  Make time to work on my crafts.
~  Participate more.

These are the things that come to mind, though I'm sure the actual list will grow throughout the year.

What do YOU want to do this year?

No comments: