Sunday, January 27, 2008

Orange-Cranberry Bundt Cake

I've been meaning to post this recipe for about two weeks and I just keep forgetting. Shortly after Christmas I had about three quarters of a container of orange-cranberry relish left over. I didn't want it to go to waste, but wasn't quite sure what I should do with it. We tried it by itself and on biscuits, but it was a bit too tart for our taste. Well as luck would have it, I was thumbing through the December issue of Woman's Day magazine one last time before I passed it along, and I found this recipe on the last page!

I changed it a bit -- added a bit more of this, a bit less of that -- and I made a substitution so that I could use the cranberry relish instead of regular cranberries. I also made my own glaze topping instead of the one they had printed in the article. It was fantastic! I was so pleased - and surprised! - at how well it turned out. Try it as is, or dream up some substitutions of your own. Either way, it's a delicous afternoon pick-me-up with a nice, hot cup of tea.

Orange Cranberry Bundt Cake

Cake:
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons grated orange zest
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 container (about 10 ounces) orange-cranberry relish

Glaze:
2 cups confectioners' sugar
2-3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon grated orange zest

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter and flour a bundt pan, shaking out excess flour; set aside. Cake: Combine butter and sugar in a mixing bowl; cream until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and mix well, scraping the sides of the bowl after each addition. Add vanilla and orange zest. Mix well. Combine the flour, salt and baking powder on a large sheet of wax paper. Add half to the butter mixture in the bowl, stir; then the cranberr relish, stir; then the remaining flour mixture. Mix well to combine. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. Reduce temperature to 325 degrees and bake another 15-20 minutes until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Glaze: In a medium sized bowl, blend confectioners' sugar, orange juice and zest. Stir until smooth. When cake is cool, spoon glaze over cake allowing it to drip down the sides. YUM!!

No comments: