Monday, March 04, 2013

Life is too short to read bad books!

Because I'm able to take public transportation on my weekly journey to jury duty, I have the luxury of being able to read during my commute.  Bliss!

On a recent girl's day, Deb and I visited a local thrift store where I found several books I was interested in, each for the bargain price of just .50.  One of the authors I'd never heard of, but I'd heard good things about the book, so I thought I'd give it a try.  The second book was by an author that I'd read in the past.  Her first book was a bit off kilter, but it was interesting - and compelling - and I did enjoy reading it  so I bought this one as well.

W.R.O.N.G.

I'd bought the book on Saturday, but saved it for my Tuesday commute.  The moment I got on the train, I could hardly wait to pull it out and start reading.  The first few pages were fine.  It seemed conventional enough; nothing extraordinary, but an okay read.  And then...well, let's just say it took a gruesome turn for the worse.  By that time, though, the morning half of my commute was over and I had to put the book away.  I pulled it out again on the way home and thought I'd give it another go.  Yeah, well.... Before I even made it back into town, I stopped reading the book.

Why?

Honestly, it was so disturbing that I don't want to go into detail.  When I got home, I decided to look up some reviews and see if it was just me, or if it was truly just ... bad.  I wasn't surprised to find many, many reviews where readers had the same reaction I'd had.  In fact, among all of the reviews I read, I found only one that had anything good to say about the book.

So ... what to do with it?

I thought about it for a while.  I knew there was no way I would ever finish reading it.  It also isn't a book I would want to keep on the shelf, that's for certain.  It's definitely not a book I would recommend, so I'd never pass it along to anyone else.  And, quite frankly, the material was so disturbing that I would find it difficult to donate it for fear that someone else might actually pick it up and read it.  I was conflicted. I have to say, I don't think I've ever felt this way about a book.

In the end, I felt that the best solution was to dump it in the garbage recycle bin to be picked up by the trash collector the next day.  I'm no book burner, but when you come up against a book this distressing, I think it best to just put it out of the reach of others.

Trust me on this.  You're welcome.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

15You are much braver than me Randa. I end up plugging through the book, cause you know it might get better.

God bless.