Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Brunch at the Mission Inn

I keep a list handy of places I'd like to go and things I'd like to do. For the longest time, "having brunch at the Mission Inn" has been on that list. As of this past Sunday, I can cross this event off. Or, at least cross it off for having been there; it shall remain on the list to go back!! Kevin and I, along with our friends Bev and Ken, splurged and treated ourselves to a wonderful meal at the Mission Inn. I can hardly wait until we return!

If you live in the southern California area, and you've never been to the Mission Inn, I think you should add this one to your list! The Mission Inn is an absolutely beautiful place. It first opened it's doors in 1903; the architecture is stunning. Here's what Will Rogers had to say about it:

“It is the most unique hotel in America. It’s a monastery, a museum, a fine hotel, a home, a boardinghouse, a mission, an art gallery and an aviator’s shrine. It combines the best features of all of the above. If you are ever in any part of California, don’t miss the famous Mission Inn of Riverside.”

Let me just say, I'm with Will. Oh, and if you happen to visit the Mission Inn on a Sunday, do yourself a favor and enjoy their fabulous brunch. (I'm quite certain Will would agree ;o)

What do they have for brunch? It's a gastronomical feast that ranges from an abundance of fresh seafood, to hand carved beef and pork, to a delicious array of salads, fresh fruits and cheeses, to made-to-order omelets, to pancakes and Belgian waffles, to the most amazing dessert bar I've ever seen. It's a bit pricey, but the food is delectable and the champagne flows generously. We were seated in the charming courtyard on the most perfect day of spring; the sun was out, the weather was warm but not hot, there was a gentle breeze and every flower was in bloom. In short, it was perfect!

After brunch, we walked through the grounds of the Inn. Kevin and I have decided that we'd like to stay at this beautiful inn - at least for a weekend. I've read that they also have a dazzling display of holiday lights at Christmastime; maybe we'll plan on going over winter break this year ...

Hey! That would be a perfect excuse to enjoy brunch there again ...

What a coincidence ;o)



No comments: