Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Gotta Love Simple

Saturday night we went to an impromptu wine and cheese party. We asked what we could bring, but of course the host said we didn't need to bring anything. Yeah. Right. Have you ever shown up at a wine and cheese party with nothing? Me neither. We decided to KISS (keep it simple, stupid) and brought a respectable zinfandel, a wheel of brie warmed and toped with warm apricot preserves, and a crock with warm Greek olives. Mmmm. Everything was delicious! The most surprising hit of the night was the warm olives. Everyone was crazy about them!

Around Christmas time, a friend of mine mentioned that she'd been given the tip to heat the olives while she was shopping at Sur la Table. They told her that heating them slightly added a nuttier flavor to the olives. Who knew, right? I never would have thought of it, but I have to say, it really did make a delicious difference.

Anyway, at the party everyone kept asking how I 'made' them. I kept saying that I really didn't do anything other than heat them up. Apparently, my explanation was not believable ;o) Today I received an email from one of the party guests requesting a step-by-step guide of what I did with the olives. Here's my reply:

Easy, peasy.

1. Go to Pavilions (or any store with an olive bar)
2. Select olives from bar; I chose assorted Greek olives (already combined - no effort on my part)
3. Place said olives in a microwave-able crockery vessel
4. Microwave for 45 seconds to 1 minute
5. Remove from microwave
6. Place crockery vessel on serving table; add cutesy plastic toothpicks to retrieve olives from aforementioned vessel
7. ENJOY!

Just call me Martha ;o)

No comments: