Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Urban Gardening: Woohoo - We have veggies!

So it's been a while since I posted about our urban garden - and it's growing like crazy!

Tonight when I went to water, I was happily surprised to find all sorts of new discoveries out there. The first discovery is that we have tomatoes - and quite a few of them!! We found about 8 or 10 of them just sitting there pretty as you please. I swear, we were out there on Sunday and there were only flowers on the plants - no actual fruit. Those little lovelies just seemed to burst out over night!
Next, while we were looking at the greens in the raised bed, we discovered cucumbers! Right now they are still teensy weensy, but before you know it, the'll be ready to pick and enjoy. Can hardly wait!
Then, just outside of the Fern Grotto, we have grapes. We didn't know that until last year when one of our neighbors pointed it out to us. Now that we know they're there, I've been keeping an eye on them. The other day I noticed that we had baby green grapes. I don't know what variety the grapes are, but I'm guessing the small champagne variety. Last year there were a ton of them and they all ripened but they stayed very small. Anyway, while watering tonight I went over to check them out. The vines are loaded! I think they just look so cool! We do have a lot of deer in the area and last year I noticed them munching on some of the grapes; hopefully we'll be able to keep them more to ourselves this year. I'm sure we'll be able to salvage at least some of them - some of the clusters are pretty far up in the yard and I didn't see the deer up quite that far in the yard.


I saved the best discovery for last. Isn't she cute?She always turns to the side just as I snap her picture. Silly girl. No matter - she's cute from every angle ;o)

No comments: