Wednesday, October 24, 2012

BOO!

Were you surprised?

The other day I had the most hilarious conversation with one of our kids at school. He's a wonderful child who has some challenges, but is a true delight. He checks in with me a couple of times a week - usually in the mornings before school starts, but sometimes during break time, or when school is out. Sometimes he's not in much of a talking mood and will just sit down and read, but sometimes he's quite the talker.

What follows is the conversation we had just a few days ago:


Him "What are you going to be for Halloween?"

Me "I can't tell you now or it won't be a surprise!"

Him "I HATE surprises."

Me "Well then, don't think of it as a 'surprise'. Just think of it as 'not knowing', then when you come in the office on Halloween, you can see for yourself. It's not like I'll jump out and say 'BOO!' or anything."

No reply. A few minutes pass and I asked him...

Me "So what are you going to be for Halloween?"

He waited for a few moments and then replied...

Him "Do you like surprises?"

Me "Of course!"

Him "Well then I'm not going to tell you."

I absolutely cracked up! The funniest thing about the conversation is that he was just so deadpan. He wasn't trying to be a smart aleck, or funny --- it's just his thought process and how his mind works.

I can't wait to see what he's going to wear next week for Halloween!

No comments: