Sunday, November 30, 2008

Post Turkey Talk

Thanksgiving is over and as holidays go, it was a fairly quiet one. Our small gathering included Kevin and myself, my parent's and my mother in law. Debbie, Bill, P and D couldn't make it this year as three of the four were down with strep throat. OUCH! Though it was quiet, it was very enjoyable - and the food was delicious! Kevin took a photo of the table before the food was added...
Thanksgiving night my mother in law spent the night at our house. We had a great time! We drank hot tea and played Scattergories. It was a nice way to end a wonderful day.

The next day, mom and I got together and made peanut brittle -- a longstanding Maxwell family tradition. It was fun making the candy in mom and dad's newly remodeled kitchen. Here are a few photos to share...




All in all, it was a pretty successful day of candy making. We ended up with 25 cellophane bags that each contain about a half pound of peanut brittle. Were we tired? Uh...YES!

The rest of the weekend Kevin and I have been preparing for Christmas. Kevin took down our Christmas boxes from the garage while I was gone on Friday. So Saturday and today we've been busily working inside and out putting up Christmas decorations. Those photos will come a bit later in the week. For now ... homemade turkey soup!! I took the turkey carcass home on Thanksgiving and made a huge pot of turkey stock yesterday while we were decorating. Mmmmm ... the house smelled delicious! The final tally was a BIG pot of turkey soup, plus 3 2-cup containers of turkey stock for the freezer. Lots of winter soups headed our way! The final product was delicious. Kevin and I each had a bowlful for lunch. YUM!

No comments: