Monday, March 02, 2009

RIP Dear Friend

“I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge - myth is more potent than history - dreams are more powerful than facts - hope always triumphs over experience - laughter is the cure for grief - love is stronger than death”

Last Tuesday night we went to visit my friend Jann for the last time. We knew it would be the last time we'd see her - she was in the last few hours of her all too short, but well-lived life. When we arrived, there were a few other friends scattered about and her husband and two grown children. Jon spoke with us before we went in and said that she was unresponsive and we were just re-living good memories and letting her know it was okay to let go.

When Kevin and I went in, their son, Erich, was in with Jann and serenading her with his guitar. He stood up when we came in and we hugged. I held her hand for a while and Erich began reminiscing about the time I'd taken he and his friend to a concert years ago when they were just 16 years old. We laughed and he reassured his mom that I'd been a very good driver and had been very careful with her precious cargo.

We stayed for just a short time - about an hour or so - and then, when it was time to go, I leaned over and gave Jann a kiss on the forehead, told her how glad I was that we'd been friends and had been able to share some wonderful times together. I wished her a peaceful journey and told her we'd meet again some day on the other side, and I hoped we'd remember each other. We hugged Jon and Erich and Nora and then took our leave.

At 3:15 a.m. Wednesday morning, Jann lost her 3-year battle with ovarian cancer.

No comments: