Friday, April 10, 2009

If I'd a Known You Were Coming, I'd a Baked a Cake

Oh wait ... we did bake a cake! And cupcakes! (there were 18 to begin with, but now there are only 16 - shhhhh! Don't tell anyone!) My thinking with the cupcakes is that most kids don't like coconut, so they can have cupcakes. Well, that and Deb bought mom an adorable cupcake holder last year and it makes an awfully cute table centerpiece.

Every year at this time my mind wanders to a moist, light and delicious coconut cake. I've seen picture after gorgeous picture in magazines depicting the most perfect, most beautiful coconut cake I've ever seen. I can't tell you how many times I've thought to myself that I'd love to bake a cake like that. So this year, we decided to give it a try.

We will be celebrating Easter at mom and dad's house tomorrow. Easter Saturday? Well, sort of. This tradition started years ago when everyone got a bit older and had families of their own. Having the big gathering on Saturday is nice because then everyone can celebrate Easter Sunday with their own families. It's kind of the best of both worlds if you will.

The recipe we used indicated that it's good to make the cake a day ahead, so we baked and decorated it today. Let me just say this: having now made a coconut cake from scratch, I now know why baking one of these creations is not for the faint of heart. I'd say it's probably one of the most labor intensive cakes I've ever made. Plus. it was a bugger to get out of the pan! It tore in several places, but I was able to piece it back together without too much trouble (or as Kevin so gallantly pointed out "put enough frosting on it and no one will know!" Now that's a strategy I can live with!) I'm not so sure that it turned out to be the cake of my dreams, but I think it came out pretty well. Besides, Kevin and I had fun in the kitchen baking up a storm - especially since it's somewhat cool and drizzly outside.

Cupcake paraphernalia before:
And decorated cupcakes after (I asked the bakery department at our Pavilions if I could buy one of their boxes for easier cupcake transport; they gave it to me as a courtesy because I'm a good customer. How nice is that?!)
Coconut cake before (... before it ripped coming out of the pan ...)
And coconut cake after (I think Kevin is absolutely right ... with enough frosting, who could tell?!)

No comments: