Monday, February 06, 2012

Is this as disturbing to you as it is to me?

Every day on my way to and from work, I pass a pet grooming place. About two months or so ago, we noticed a few 'new additions'. At first I just thought they were ridiculous - which they are. But then I decided they were both ridiculous and disturbing. I'll post a couple of photos in a minute, but first, let me first give you a bit of background info on this particular place.

Eleven years ago, Kevin and I hosted our first annual Mother's Day Brunch. The day before the brunch, Kevin had a game and I was busy running around getting everything ready for our outdoor event the next day. One of the first things I did was drop my precious Hobbes off at a new groomer (can you guess which one?) for a bath and haircut. They seemed pleasant enough when I dropped him off, but as the day went on and I hadn't heard anything from them, I began to get a bit concerned, so I gave them a call. They told me that they were particularly busy that day and that Hobbes wasn't finished yet, but they'd let me know as soon as he was ready. I went on with my other preparations and time flew by. Before I knew it, it was 5:00 p.m. and I still hadn't heard anything from the groomer. Once again I called and was told that they were just running really behind, it would probably be another hour or so. I was perturbed, but waited another hour and still, no call. Just as I was ready to call yet again, the phone rang and it was the groomer. They told me that he still wasn't dry yet, but that I could pick him up at 8:00 p.m. EIGHT P.M?? I'd dropped him off at 9:00 a.m., and this seemed like a ridiculously long time to me.

Something about this situation just didn't seem right to me, so I got in the car and headed over to pick up Hobbes, dry or not. When I walked in the door the guy looked pretty shocked to see me. He told me that Hobbes still wasn't ready yet and I told him that I wanted him right then and there, regardless of whether he felt Hobbes was ready yet. It wasn't until that moment that he began shouting and told me Hobbes had bitten him. I apologized to him and told him that it seemed strange to be because I'd had Hobbes for 12 years and he'd never bitten anyone. He was belligerent and told me that he could sue me for this and as he continued shouting, his assistant brought Hobbes out from the back room. I was so involved in the discussion with the owner that I didn't check Hobbes out as thoroughly as I should have. I noticed that he was pretty lethargic, but thought he was probably just a bit depressed. I paid the bill and off we went.

It wasn't until we got home that I noticed that Hobbes had a HUGE SWOLLEN RED EYE! I immediately called the groomer to find out what had happened. He told me he knew nothing about it, at which point I told him he better find out about it otherwise I'd be stopping payment on the check I'd given him. He put me on hold for quite a while and then came on the line and gave me some cockamamie story about how he'd 'slipped' as they were trying to lift him into the tub for his bath. I told him he was a liar and that I knew he'd hit Hobbes. He never quite admitted it, but eluded to as much. I told him that I was glad Hobbes had bitten him and that I hoped it hurt like hell. He asked me if he had a current rabies vaccine. I know it was mean, but I told him no, and ended the conversation by saying something to the effect of 'if you're foaming at the mouth anytime soon, you'll know why.'

Needless to say, we never went back there again. I think about this incident every time I pass that building. I hear that the man who owned the business sold it recently and there are new owners. I read some online
reviews and it doesn't sound as if the new owners are an improvement over the old one.

Anyway. Here are a couple of photos of their new additions:
Disturbing, right? I mean seriously - wouldn't Giant Floating Dog and Creepy Hidden Kitty keep you awake at night? Blech.

No comments: