Monday, February 15, 2010

Meal Planning

For about the last four years, I've been creating two-week meal plans for us. Really it's just for dinner as breakfasts and lunches are really easy and don't require much of a plan. I've really discovered first hand that creating the plan - and sticking with it (at least for the most part!) - is both a huge time and money saver.

I do a two week menu because it seems to be easier for me; if I do it for only one week, having to create a new menu seems to come around too fast. Two weeks seems to be about the right amount of time. Having the two week plan allows me to look ahead a bit and stock up on any sale items that we may be using in the next two weeks. Also, I plan from Friday to Saturday because Saturday is generally when I do our grocery shopping.

To keep it fresh in my mind - and to keep me accountable - I'm going to try and remember to post my menus here every two weeks. It's a bit late for this two week round, but here it is anyway:

2/13 - 2/26

Saturday 2/13 - hot dogs, baked beans, potato salad
Sunday 2/14 - roasted prime rib, twice baked potatoes, sauteed fresh spinach (HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!)
Monday 2/15 - roasted garlic chicken, roasted veggies (baby carrots, cauliflower, onions and Brussels sprouts), mashed potatoes
Tuesday 2/16 - French dip sandwiches (using leftover prime rib) with caramelized onions on crusty rolls, cut-up veggies
Wednesday 2/17 - spaghetti with Italian sausage marinara, garlic bread
Thursday 2/18 - scrambled eggs, bacon or sausages, bagels with cream cheese
Friday 2/19 - chicken tortilla soup (using leftover chicken), corn bread
Saturday 2/20 - both Kevin and I will be out for the day so we'll grab a bite out somewhere
Sunday 2/21 - pork roast, stuffing, green beans, cranberry sauce
Monday 2/22 - Kevin has a meeting and will have dinner there; I'll most likely have peanut butter toast
Tuesday 2/23 - pork stirfry (using leftover pork roast) with lots of veggies over a bed of rice
Wednesday 2/24 - chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn
Thursday 2/25 - Monte Cristo sandwiches (using leftover French toast from Sunday morning), cut-up fresh fruit
Friday 2/26 - frozen pizza (doctored up with lots of fresh veggies) (we normally don't eat frozen pizza, but it was free so ... )

Well, there you have it. Hopefully I'll remember to post the next two weeks when it's time. If not, feel free to remind me!

No comments: