Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Antique Secretary

The other night I began working on the finish of the antique secretary desk we "inherited" a few weeks ago. There were many, many well worn spots on this little beauty. That's okay, though, it just says that it was well used and well loved. Though it was a bit of a messy job - not to mention tedious - I really enjoyed doing it. And the outcome is so spectacular, I feel that it was well worth it!

Here's the piece in it's entirety: Isn't it gorgeous!! I just love it - it turned out beautifully. Well, that and the piece is so beautiful in and of itself.

The glass cabinet I've filled with the James Herriot series of books (All Creatures Great and Small, All Things Bright and Beautiful, etc. I love this series! And each book was bought for just pennies at thrift stores - who doesn't love a bargain?!), a sweet little angel musical doll that I received in a bouquet of flowers from my grandparents when I was six years old and went in to the hospital to have my tonsils out, several photographs, two or three more books (Including a vintage copy of Wuthering Heights) and a few pieces of pottery. I love the way it turned out. It's simple and yet special all at the same time.

The actual desk portion was the most difficult to touch up. There were many, many deeply damaged areas that where showing raw wood. Since I'm far from an expert in furniture refinishing, I didn't want to do a lot with it, so I just worked on getting the color right. I think it turned out nicely. Each of the little cubbies is filled with note cards, letter seals, etc.

And the drawers! Oh boy, am I ever glad to have a few more drawers at my disposal! As much as I love our new home, one of the few things it's lacking is cupboard/closet space, so I'm thrilled to have a bit more storage for things. What's in the drawers? Well ... that's coming up in the next post!

No comments: