Monday, April 05, 2010

Egg-cellent!

This past Thursday night at Open House, I received a very charming and delicious gift.

About two weeks ago, one of our parents called and asked if we could have his daughter come to the office with the egg she'd brought as a breaktime snack. Apparently she grabbed what she'd thought was a hard cooked egg, but in reality, it was a raw egg. Dad caught it quickly, but not before she'd already left for school. Dad came in with an egg to exchange and, while we waited a moment for his daughter to walk up to the office, I commented on what a beautiful egg it was. It was a very pale shade of aqua - just beautiful! He said that they raised hens and all of their eggs were beautiful shades - from aqua to tan to a rusty red. In conversation, I mentioned that I'd love to have a few shells of those shades to use as decorations. His daughter arrived and they switched eggs and off they went in their respective directions.

Thursday evening at Open House, this family came into the office and gave me a very special gift. Egg shells? Nope. One dozen gorgeous, freshly laid eggs!! How sweet is that?! After they explained how to clean and use a freshly laid egg, I thanked them profusely and told them I couldn't wait to give them a try. Kevin and I had fresh eggs for breakfast Saturday morning - what a treat! These eggs were far larger than commercial eggs you buy at the grocery store. And the yolks were an orange-yellow and stood much higher than grocery store eggs. All in all, I'd say if you've never tried farm fresh eggs, give them a try. You're in for a treat!!

Aren't they gorgeous?!

No comments: