Monday, April 05, 2010

Spring Desserts

For Easter, I volunteered to make the dessert. Or rather, desserts.

Initially I was just going to make my Orange Chiffon Cake, but on the very same page, right next to that recipe, was a recipe for a Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble that looked sooo good, I decided to make that, too! I'm so glad I did - it was absolutely delicious!

(Side note: when I went to the grocery store to buy the rhubarb, the courtesy clerk bagging my groceries looked at me and said "What IS this?" The checker and I both told her it was rhubarb. She said she'd never seen nor heard of it. She was at least 30, so I was pretty surprised by this! She asked if you put it in soups or what? I explained that it was more of a dessert element. "Is it sweet?", she asked? No, I said, you have to add sugar to make it sweet. She looked at me like I was nuts, shrugged her shoulders and put it in the bag.)

Here's the 'before':

And here's the 'after': Oh man, was it ever DELISH!! Kevin said this was a great addition to our repertoire - he can hardly wait until we make it again! It was a big hit - we took home just a taste for each of us - the rest disappeared.

The cake was delicious, too. Something about citrus that just says "SPRING!". I've made the cake for several occasions and it always goes over well. Just the scent of it makes your mouth start watering!

No comments: